Sunday, August 24, 2008

Magic of the Canon 135 f/2 L


Point Isabel Park, originally uploaded by Gamut's Edge.

The Canon 135 f/2 L is a legend in the photo forums. It is sharp, fast, and small. I bought one last year after a long debate in my head between the 135L vs Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L. I'm glad I picked the 135 L!

The #1 reason I picked the 135 over the 70-200 is size. The above photo was taken at Point Isabel with my Canon 5D and 135 f/2 L. I had to hold the camera with only one hand because I was squatting and had our 25 pound baby in a backpack. My other hand was on the ground for balance. I don't think I could shoot one handed with a 70-200.

This photo also has the legendary 135 L sharpness. Check out this 100% crop:



The dogs were jumping around so I had the ISO up at 320 and a shutter speed of 1/2000th. I set the aperture to f/5.6 so i would get a good amount of dog in focus.

The black dog in the photo is our mutt Jack. We took him and his dog brother Gatsby to Point Isabel for some excercise. I walked around with the baby in a backpack and carried my Canon 5D with the 135mm L f/2 attached for almost two hours. When we got home I had a ton of keeper images and I wasn't in a bad mood from carrying a bulky lens around all afternoon.

No comments: