Thursday, September 4, 2008

Learn to Take Photos That Stand the Test of Time

Lately I have become interested in taking pictures that have historical qualities. So much of my photography work in the past has been fine art and nature. After looking through my backup hard drive I realized that most of my photos could have been taken at any point in history. There is no evidence of place in time, in fact I usually made sure to keep anything modern out of my pictures. That's what you do as a nature photographer. I don't plan to quit taking nature photos, however I also want to start taking photos that create a record of our present time. Which brings me to the point of this post...

How does one learn to take pictures that will be interesting 100 years from now? I found a place to start learning: Shorpy the 100 year old Photography Blog

Here is how Shorpy describes itself: "Shorpy.com is the 100-year-old photography blog that brings our ancestors back, at least to the desktop. What do they have to tell us? The site is named after Shorpy Higginbotham, a boy who worked in an Alabama coal mine near the turn of the century"

Looking at other peoples photography is one of the best ways to learn the art. By looking back and seeing what is interesting about the old photos at Shorpy one can learn what to take pictures of today that will be interesting 100 years from now. I take a look at Shorpy every few days and find the site very inspiring. The photos posted there are always interesting, and you have the ability to view them at full size. The detail in Shorpy's images is amazing.

No comments: